Cannabinoid Therapies in PANDAS/PANS
Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections (PANDAS) describes a hypothesis that there exists a subset of children with rapid onset of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) or tic disorders and these symptoms are caused by group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal (GABHS) infections.
Many genes involved in the mitochondrial ROS pathways have been implicated in PANS and PANDAS. Courtagen provides mtSEEK® mitochondrial and nucSEEK® nuclear mitochondrial exome genetic testing. The below links tell the story of a patient with PANDAS.
LRRK2 gene often mutated in PANDAS PANS
Papers describing this gene are listed below (some are behind paywalls). LRRK2 is the most common gene mutated in Parkinsons. Most of these Parkinsons mutations are in a different region of the protein than what we find in PANDAS. The gene is unique in that it appears to have two peptides linked as one protein. Mutation in one domain may appear dominant while mutations in the other may appear haploinsufficient. The gene is involved in ROS management with host defense.
- The Parkinsons Disease Gene LRRK2-Mol Biol Evol-2006-Marín-2423-33
- Lipid Rafts LRRK2 PINK1
- Kinase activity of mutant LRRK2 mediates neuronal toxicity_nn1776
- LRRK2 R1628P Parkinsons
- LRRK2 Kinase inhibitors ddr312
- Mutant LRRK2 induces neural degeneration PNAS 2005-Smith-18676-81
- LRRK2 knock down LPS inflammation
- LRRK2 rat knockouts show metabolic and immunological homeostasis pertubations
- LRRK2 inhibition attentuate microglial inflammation responses
- LRRK2 R1441G in Spanish patients with Parkinson disease
- LRRK2 ALS
- Site Specific Methionine Oxidation Initiates calmodulin Degredation by 20S Proteasome
- Mito PINK1 Parkin LRRK2 ncpneuro0924
- LRRK2 in Parkinsons Disease protein domains and functional insights
- NAC in Parkinsons
- LRRK2 Calcium Mito
- Genetic Correction LRRK2 Reinhardt et al, 2013 Cell Press
- LRRK2 Kinase inhibition prevents HANS HIV PANSlike
- LRRK2 in Parkinsons disease function in neuodegen
- Pharma rescue of mito deficits in LRRK2 PINK1
- Zimprich Mutations in LRRK2 cause auto-dominant parkinsonism
- LRRK2 ROS Inflammation CD
- Genetic modification to CNR1 leads to Neuroinflammation Neurogenerations and MS like symptoms.
We do not make recommendations for treatment but we have seen a trend in Epilepsy and other neurological diseases where anti-oxidants like CBD or NAC are helpful for the disease. These are still in Phase 3 trials for Dravet syndrome and other forms of Epilepsy so these are again tentative links but there are publications in Epilepsy that now support the use of CBD in Epilepsy.
Cannabidiol and NAC
- Neuroprotective Effects of CBD in Hypoxic
- Cannabidiol reduces ER Stress
- CBD Targets Mito to regulate Ca2+ Levels
- CBD induces intracellular Ca elevation– I think this paper missed the fact that CBD buffers calcium and although it can elevate Ca2+, it can also decrease it as shown by the paper before it.
- Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoids
- Role of ROS in neurotoxicity of toxins in Parkinson’s
- Cannabidiol Esposito PPARgamma
- ROS in Mito Exp Biol Med (Maywood)-2013 Wang-450-60
- NAC CBD
- Anandamide NO J. Biol. Chem.-2000-Maccarrone-13484-92
- Transdermal delivery of cannabidiol attenuates alcohol-induced neurodegeneration
- CBD Mechanisms_Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B-2012-Campos-3364-78
- Ca2+ cAMP in Mito J Physiol-2013-Di Benedetto-jphysiol.2013.259135